SPLIT (50km from the Rogoznica)
The story of Split is already 17 centuries old, dating to the time the Roman Emperor Diocletian decided to build his Palace right on the peninsula near the great Roman city Salona, where he wanted to spend the last years of his life. During these 1700 years the Palace slowly turned into a city, which to this day lures with its rich tradition, glorious history and beauty of its natural and cultural heritage. Diocletian Palace and the entire historical core of Split have been on the World Heritage UNESCO list ever since 1979, and not only for the extraordinary preservation of the Palace, but also because the Palace and its city (or the city and its Palace, if you like) continue to live a full life. All historical layers from the old Rome, middle ages till today are still visible and alive in this structure. A walk through the ancient city takes you through time, along the great examples of ancient architecture like Peristyle, the middle aged Romanesque Church and Gothic Palace, Renaissance portals of the noblemen’s houses, Baroque facades and modern architecture superbly merged in the rich heritage.
PRIMOŠTEN (6km from the Rogoznica)
Primosten is a small place located only 27 km from Sibenik. The old part of the place is situated on a small island which was connected to the mainland by a bridge which was later replaced by a mound – this is how Primosten became an island. The place preserved its Mediterranean atmosphere and all the features of a medieval Mediteranean fishing town, which is especially evident in its narrow streets and compacted houses in the old town core. Visit historical sites such as: the parish church St. Juraj (built in 1485 on the highest point of the former island), St. Roko church (built in 1680, a valuable cultural monument), image of Our Lady of Loret and the Church of Our Lady of Grace (built in 1553).
TROGIR (30km from the Rogoznica)
Trogir is situated in Central Dalmatia, along the Adriatic coast. The nearness to the Split Airport (5 kilometres) and a fast connection to the motorway (only 15 kilometres) make Trogir with its surrounding ports and islands an inevitable stop during your visit to Dalmatia. Its naturally protected harbour has become very popular among the yachtsmen from all over the world. There are numerous sights which can be visited within the distance of only hundred kilometres from Trogir, e.g. the towns of Dubrovnik, Šibenik and Zadar, as well as some of the Croatia’s most beautiful national parks. Trogir was founded by the Greek colonists in the 3rd century BC. Throughout the history it was occupied by the Romans, the Byzantines, the Hungarians, the Venetians and Napoleon. Culture, humanism and architecture flourished here in the Middle Ages; bulwarks and a tower which were built at that time within the ancient town nucleus defined its outlines. Trogir is today on the UNESCO list of World Cultural Heritage as the best preserved Romanesque-Gothic town in Central Europe.
ŠIBENIK (30km from the Rogoznica)
Šibenik is the main town of the Šibenik - Knin County, about 85km from Split, located in the central part of the Croatian Adriatic shore, in a picturesque, indented bay, at the place where the River Krka flows into the Adriatic Sea. It is also the oldest town founded by Croatians on the Adriatic. The most famous sight in the town is the Cathedral of St. James, as the most important architectural accomplishment of the 15th and 16th century in Croatia. Due to its extraordinary value the Cathedral has been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
NATIONAL PARK KRKA (50km from the Rogoznica)
The lakes of this Karst beauty, River Krka, are peaceful and silent while its numerous cascades are blaringly loud and playful.
The beauty and diversity of this river resembles a magnificent orchestral symphony under the direction of the Creator himself. For thousands of years Krka has obstinately hollowed out its path through rock and has created its remarkable waterfalls.
The peculiar travertine cascades of its waterfalls are extremely rare in the world. In the year 1985 its remarkable beauty was recognized and placed under protection proclaiming the 46 kilometres of the Krka River flow which occupy 111 square kilometres a national park.